Effective Discipleship Pt. 2
Discipleship is when:
● Values are Challenged
● Attitudes are Fine Tuned
● Character is developed
Results You Want To See By Your Discipleship Efforts
1. They Would Know God Personally - God sees them as sons and daughters
Phil 3:10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection…
Romans 8:15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”
Deut 6:5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.
● Teaching them to be radical For God
● Renewing their minds and daily thinking about God
2. They Would Love the Lord with all their heart, soul and strength
2 Tim 3:16-17 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
● Hearing the word, reading the word, studying the word, memorizing the word and meditating on the word of God
3. They Would Be Hungry For God’s Word
Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
● Teaching them their authority and position in Christ Jesus
● “In Him” we have all the victory over any opposition
4. They Would Understand Spiritual Warfare
● Love their church, the vision and mission, understand the path, love their leaders, and excited about being in the house of God
● Tithing - we need to set good examples because they are watching us
● Teach them how to have a generous heart
● Teach them how to go to God for their needs to be met
6. Understand God’s perspective on Money and Possessions
● Go to God in prayer
7. Good Decisions
● How to be a Godly husband, wife, father and mother
Titus 2:2-5 that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience; the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.
● Enjoy their roles as being fathers and mothers
● Living the life as disciples in front of our children
● We create atmospheres in our home
8. God’s perspective on marriage
2 Corinth 5:17 This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!
● Stable in their emotions
● Recognize their giftings and encourage them that they “can”
● Help them grow in their personality – Christ shines through us
● We have to let go of the “hard look”
● Bring them around others and encourage them to make more friends (no isolation in discipleship)
● Comfortable around different ethnic settings - “all nations”
9. They Would Overcome Complexes and Insecurities
2 Tim 2:2 And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
10. Teaching Them They Can Do the Same for Others