Answering the Call of Freedom is Answering the Call to Make Disciples
1. Under Shepherds Are Examples of Those Their Disciplining
1 Peter 5:2-5 Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers — not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.
● Who we are is far more important then what we know
Ps 78:70-72 He chose David his servant and took him from the sheep pens; from tending the sheep he brought him to be the shepherd of his people God’s inheritance. And David shepherded them with integrity of heart; with skillful hands he led them.
2. Shepherds Are Humble Not Self Exalting – It’s Not Just About What We Do Its Also About Why We Do It
Matt 23:5-12 "Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; they love to be greeted in the marketplaces and to have men call them 'Rabbi.' "But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called 'teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ. The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.
3. A Shepherd Cares For the Needs of the Sheep
Ezek 34:2-16 Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy and say to them: 'This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to the shepherds of Israel who only take care of themselves! Should not shepherds take care of the flock? You eat the curds, clothe yourselves with the wool and slaughter the choice animals, but you do not take care of the flock. You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured. You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost. You have ruled them harshly and brutally. So they were scattered because there was no shepherd, and when they were scattered they became food for all the wild animals. My sheep wandered over all the mountains and on every high hill. They were scattered over the whole earth, and no one searched or looked for them. "'Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the Lord: As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, because my flock lacks a shepherd and so has been plundered and has become food for all the wild animals, and because my shepherds did not search for my flock but cared for themselves rather than for my flock, therefore, O shepherds, hear the word of the Lord: This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against the shepherds and will hold them accountable for my flock. I will remove them from tending the flock so that the shepherds can no longer feed themselves. I will rescue my flock from their mouths, and it will no longer be food for them. "'For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness. I will bring them out from the nations and gather them from the countries, and I will bring them into their own land. I will pasture them on the mountains of Israel, in the ravines and in all the settlements in the land. I will tend them in a good pasture, and the mountain heights of Israel will be their grazing land. There they will lie down in good grazing land, and there they will feed in a rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign Lord. I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice.
4. A Shepherd Protects Sheep From Wolves and Themselves
Acts 20:28-31 Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. So be on your guard! Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears.
● Overseer - To inspect, to look carefully into, a watcher, a guardian
● What can I do to get this person from where they are to where Christ needs them to be?
John 21:15-16 "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "feed my sheep."
● When the proper diet of God’s word is spoken into us at every level of our spiritual development we grow up into God’s soldiers
● The Path is what God has given us to raise a mighty army
● In every Christian there is a mighty warrior ready to be developed
5. Shepherds Make Sure the Sheep Are Fed at Proper Levels #thepath
Matt 9:35-10:1, 10:11 Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest." And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and disease.
● When a group gets past 15 you need to multiply and send some of the group members with the new leaders
● We can only pastor well 12 people at a time
● Its important for you to be committed to multiplying your group as it grows too large for you personally
● Cancer is caused by cells that do not properly multiply
● Hearing the cries of the people is required to have the supernatural urgency to make and to to multiply disciples
● Go and make apprentices – just as it is the responsibility of every parent to prepare and guide their children towards maturity, so it is the responsibility of Christian leaders to disciple believers toward maturity #winsouls #makedisciples
Ex 3:7-10 the Lord said: “I have surely seen the oppression of My people who are in Egypt (Bondage), and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters, for I know their sorrows. So I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians (Bondage), and to bring them up from that land to a good and large land, to a land flowing with milk and honey. Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel has come to Me, and I’ve also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them. Come now, therefore, and I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring My people, out .
Mark 10:30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life
6. Our Call is Not to Shelter the Flock But to Lead Them Into Ministry